The Department of Surgery provides general surgery and consultations for surgical problems of adults and children. We also serve as teachers and mentors for medical students and residents, training the physicians of tomorrow.
Our scope of practice includes:
- Alimentary tract surgery from esophagus to rectum and anus for benign and malignant diseases.
- Laparoscopic abdominal surgery.
- Gall bladder and complex biliary tract and ductal surgery including the liver and pancreas.
- Hernia repair of the diaphragm abdominal wall and groin.
- Breast and endocrine surgery including the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands.
- Skin lesions including cancer and melanoma.
- Complex wounds.
- Comprehensive care of the amputee including osteomyoplastic reconstruction and revision surgery.
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal diagnostic endoscopy.
- Minimally invasive surgery of the foregut including Nissen fundoplication, Heller myotomy and hiatal hernia repair.
- All common general surgery procedures.
Office procedures that are provided in the Surgery Clinics include biopsy and excision of skin lesions, and ultrasound-guided biopsy of the skin, thyroid and breast.
The Department of Surgery includes four faculty physicians employed by the medical school as well as more than 30 community physicians who participate in our teaching and research programs.
The Surgery Clinics, located in the WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine Clinics on the Oakland Drive Campus, provide a patient-centered experience with expert care. We accept the majority of medical plans and are available to all patients with a surgical need. We see approximately 3000 patients each year for consultation, surgical follow-up and minor procedures. The Surgery Clinics also include five physician assistants and skilled nurses in a team-oriented approach to each patient. Our physicians provide care for patients at both Bronson and Borgess hospitals performing surgery and providing surgical consultations. We work closely with the physicians and staff of West Michigan Cancer Center.
Our physicians are available for clinical consultations at all times via our “HOTDOC” line at 269.337.6101. Appointments can be made during regular business hours at 269.337.6230.
James B. Babel, MD
Interim Chair, Department of Surgery