|Academic Year||2017-2018 Academic Year|
|Other Departments|| |
|Involved in Clerkship||N/A|
|Course Duration||4 weeks|
|Months Offered||September - June|
|Visiting Students Accepted||Yes|
|Eligibility||Students from LCME or AOA-accredited schools|
|Prerequisites||Successful completion of all Year 3 required clerkships|
|Scheduling Information||All visiting student electives are scheduled by Resident Affairs through VSAS. Check the WMed Website for exceptions to this policy. WMed Scheduling Coordinator 269.337.6040.|
|Course Directors||Peter Longstreet, MD|
|Course Instructors||Attending faculty psychiatrists on the inpatient adolescent service|
|Program Coordinator||Nancy Lenz|
|Sites Available||Borgess Medical Center|
|Description||Students participate in the adolescent inpatient and partial hospitalization programs at Borgess Medical Center. Students work one-on-one with child and adolescent psychiatrists, a psychiatry resident, as well as other professionals of the treatment team. Students will be expected to become involved with psychological testing, group therapy, individual therapy, family therapy, and activities therapy. The site available is Borgess Medical Center.|
|Objectives||After completion of this elective, each student will be able to:|
- Demonstrate the capacity to perform a comprehensive intake evaluation on adolescents.
- Assess and utilize family and community resources to better understand and manage patients.
- Assess and manage the common psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents.
- Utilize common psychotherapeutic and psycho-pharmacological treatment approaches.
- Conduct observed individual and family therapy sessions.
- Obtain collateral information from as well as provide comfort for the families and patients.
|Grading||Pass / Fail|
|Assessment||Faculty evaluation of performance on course objectives|