Melanie Lockett-Davis - mother of Marisa Nicole Davis
WMU Alumnus; Donor
At a very young age, Marisa would watch The Baby Story on TLC and was intrigued by the doctors for babies and mothers. I believe that this is when her dream to become a neonatologist was established. After Marisa loss her three-month battle with Leukemia, I was looking for ways to honor her fight and her legacy. I decided to set up the fund for medical education in order to honor my daughter Marisa's legacy and her desire to become a doctor. I felt that this was the perfect way to honor her life, her fight, and her dreams of becoming a doctor by establishing a fund in her honor. I believe it is important for others to contribute in order to help provide financial assistance for students who are in pursuit of goals and dreams related to the field of medicine.
Your gift makes a difference at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. There are many ways to give and we are dedicated to helping you find the gift method that will help you achieve your philanthropic goals. If you don’t find the information you need below, please don’t hesitate to contact Al Shifflett III at 269.337.4483 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All gifts to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. You should consult your tax advisor or applicable federal and state income tax instructions.
You can give
By credit card online.
Through the mail.
Please make out a check to WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, indicate your area of interest on the memo line, and mail it with a cover note/letter to:
Western Michigan University Foundation
Re: WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
1903 W. Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5403
Special News: IRA Rollover Extended.
Congress has extended the charitable IRA rollover provision through December 2013. This means that if you own a traditional or ROTH IRA, you can make a tax-free transfer of up to $100,000 to a public charity, such as the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, through Dec. 31, 2013. To learn more about this exciting opportunity to benefit WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, contact Al Shifflett III at 269.337.4483 or email@example.com.
Other Ways to Give
Memorials are gifts made in memory or honor of someone
Pledges enable a donor to make a gift and pay it over time
- May be made in the form of cash, securities, credit card charges or other types of assets
- May be paid over a period of up to five years in annual, semiannual or quarterly installments
Planned Gifts are arrangements that have specific tax advantages to the donor
- Requests: name Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine as a beneficiary in your will or living trust
- Beneficiary Designations: name Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, life insurance or insurance annuity asset
You can create a permanent legacy at WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. Endowments are funds invested and maintained in perpetuity by the Western Michigan University Foundation.
- The fund’s annual investment income is used to support the purpose the donor specifies
- Invested to generate growth of principal and a growing payout stream to ensure that future funding for endowment-supported activities can be maintained
- Provide a lasting tribute to a named individual, family or group
- Create a highly visible link between the honoree and Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
- Enable donors to build strong ties with the beneficiaries of their endowment and share in the achievements made possible by their gift
Naming gift opportunities offer enduring ways of honoring benefactors for their generosity, and they serve as visible and active expressions of interest in the advancement of higher education.
We encourage WMed faculty, staff and current residents to give back to the medical school through payroll deduction. Learn more with the UMake WMed Q&A
or download the Employee Giving Pledge Form
and turn it into the payroll department.
Gifts of appreciated securities including stocks, mutual funds and bonds
Matching gifts are a great way to stretch your contribution! Please check with your personnel office, then send us the form.
Life-income gifts make it possible to support Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and also provide income to you or others at the same time. To establish a life-income gift a donor irrevocably transfers an asset to the university. Periodic payments are made to the donor for life or for a period of years. The assets are ultimately distributed to the campus to be used for the donor’s stated purpose.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: provide fixed, partially tax free payments to the donor
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: provide income to the beneficiaries for life or for a set number of years
Learn more about these and other opportunities by contacting:
Al Shifflett III
Western Michigan University
Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Office of Development