Your gift makes a difference at WMed. There are many ways to give and we are dedicated to helping you find the gift method that will help you achieve your philanthropic goals. If you don’t find the information you need below, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
All gifts to the medical school are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. You should consult your tax advisor or applicable federal and state income tax instructions.
Gifts made to WMed are processed, receipted and invested by the Western Michigan University Foundation. The WMU Foundation is an independent, tax-exempt 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit corporation that operates to raise funds for Western Michigan University.
You can give:
By credit card online
Through the mail
Please make out a check to WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, indicate your area of interest on the memo line, and mail it with a cover note/letter to:
Western Michigan University Foundation
Re: WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
1903 W. Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5403
Other Ways to Give
You can help continue the legacy of medical education in southwestern Michigan by including WMed in your will or other estate plans.
Planned Gifts are arrangements that have specific tax advantages to the donor
- Requests: Name Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine as a beneficiary in your will or living trust
- Beneficiary Designations: Name Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, life insurance or insurance annuity asset
Learn more and take advantage of planned giving resources from the WMU Foundation.
Many employers support their employees' philanthropic interests, which can double or triple the impact of your gift to WMed. Matching gifts are credited to the same fund as gifts, unless otherwise specified by the matching organization, and generally match at a ratio of one half to three times the amount. Although companies with matching gift policies will match gifts given by employees, some will also match gifts given by spouses or retirees.
Use the WMU Foundation's online search directory to find out if your employer offers a matching gift program.
Memorials are gifts made in memory or honor of someone
Pledges enable a donor to make a gift and pay it over time
- May be made in the form of cash, securities, credit card charges or other types of assets
- May be paid over a period of up to five years in annual, semiannual or quarterly installments
You can create a permanent legacy at WMed. Endowments are funds invested and maintained in perpetuity by the Western Michigan University Foundation.
- The fund’s annual investment income is used to support the purpose the donor specifies
- Invested to generate growth of principal and a growing payout stream to ensure that future funding for endowment-supported activities can be maintained
- Provide a lasting tribute to a named individual, family or group
- Create a highly visible link between the honoree and WMed
- Enable donors to build strong ties with the beneficiaries of their endowment and share in the achievements made possible by their gift
Naming gift opportunities offer enduring ways of honoring benefactors for their generosity, and they serve as visible and active expressions of interest in the advancement of higher education.
We encourage WMed faculty, staff and current residents to give back to the medical school through payroll deduction. Learn more on the Employee Giving page or download the Employee Giving Pledge Form and turn it into the payroll department.
Gifts of appreciated securities, including stocks, mutual funds and bonds.
Life-income gifts make it possible to support WMed and provide income to you or others at the same time. To establish a life-income gift, a donor irrevocably transfers an asset to the university. Periodic payments are made to the donor for life or for a period of years. The assets are ultimately distributed to the campus to be used for the donor’s stated purpose.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: Provide fixed, partially tax free payments to the donor
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: Provide income to the beneficiaries for life or for a set number of years
When the holiday shopping season is upon us, you have an opportunity to purchase your favorite items AND donate to WMed by shopping at AmazonSmile. Tens of millions of products on AmazonSmile are eligible for donations. You will see eligible products marked “Eligible for AmazonSmile donation” on product detail pages.
If you have an existing Amazon account, you use the same account on AmazonSmile. Your shopping cart, Wish List, wedding or baby registry, and other account settings are also the same.