All investigators and key personnel who participate in the design, conduct, and/or reporting of human subjects research (including exempt research) must be trained in the protection of human subjects. WMed uses the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) web-based human research courses to satisfy this requirement.
If you’ve completed CITI or an equivalent while conducting human research at another institution, submit your completion certificate to the IRB at email@example.com. We’ll evaluate and determine if it meets the requirements of the WMed HRPP training policy. If you completed CITI at another institution, you can simply affiliate with WMed that way your training information will transfer into the WMed system.
Plan on dedicating 1-1/2 to 2 hours to completing this course. Your User ID and Password will allow ongoing access at any time that’s convenient for you so you don’t need to complete the course in one sitting.
- Go to www.citiprogram.org.
- Register or sign-in where indicated.
- Affiliate yourself with WMed by selecting “Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine”.
- Begin your Biomedical Research or Social & Behavioral Research Course by choosing the type of Human Subjects Research you’ll be conducting and select “View Courses”.
- Complete all the required modules by clicking “Start Now”. A cumulative score of 80 percent or greater is required. If your score is less than 80 percent, you’ll need to re-do the modules until your score is at least 80 percent.
- Once you have completed your CITI Basic Biomedical or Social & Behavioral Research Course, sign out.
A certificate will automatically be sent to the IRB electronically. You no longer need to print and include a certificate with your submission. If you need help or have questions, please contact Maureen Owens at 269.337.4269.