All investigators and key personnel who participate in the design, conduct, and/or reporting of human subjects research (including exempt research) must be trained in the protection of human subjects. WMed uses the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) web-based human research courses to satisfy this requirement.
Instructions for Completing CITI HSP Training (New Users)
- Go to www.citiprogram.org.
- Register where indicated.
- Complete the Registration Questions
- Step 1: Affiliate yourself with WMed by selecting “Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine”.
- Step 2: Personal Information
- Step 3: Create User Name and Password
- Step 4: Country of Residence
- Step 5: Select Continuing Ed if you wish to use for CE credit
- Step 6: Add your WMed email. This is the address that connects your training to the IRB electronic submission system. If you don’t have a WMed email, use your work email.
- Step 7: ‘Select Curriculum’ section under Question 1 Human Subjects Research, select ‘Human Subjects and HIPAA Research’ (or whatever Human Subjects Research course you would like to take…GCP, etc.) Scroll down and select ‘Complete Registration’
- Select ‘Finalize Registration’
- Click ‘View Courses
- Click ‘Start Now’
- Complete all required courses. Keep in mind you’ll be required to complete 2 elective modules. Select modules that may benefit you during this research.
- It is not necessary to complete all the modules in one sitting – you can return to the website anytime and pick up where you left off. However, don’t log off in the middle of an exam or you will lose it! A minimum “passing” aggregate score of 80% is required for each course. You can re-enter each module and re-take each quiz to achieve a passing score as necessary.
Upon completion a certificate will automatically be sent to the IRB electronically.
Returning or Current CITI User with Another Institution and Need to Affiliate with WMed
- Log on to www.citiprogram.org
- Enter your existing Username and Password (If lost, contact CITI 888-529-5929, press option 1 and they will help reset your Username and/or Password)
- At the Main Menu page, choose “Click here to affiliate with another institution”
- Affiliate with WMed by searching for “Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine” NOT “Western Michigan University” from the Participating Institutions drop-down menu
- Enroll in the “Human Subjects and HIPAA Research” course.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you have affiliated with WMed.
Completion of the appropriate HSP courses will be required every 4 years from the date of completion listed on the previous CITI Completion Report documentation of training.
An expiration reminder from the IRB will be emailed to you 90, 60, 30 and 7 days prior to expiration and 1-day post expiration.
Questions? Contact Anita Crawshaw, IRB Coordinator at 269.337.4308 or email@example.com