Assistant Dean for Career Development
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Dr. Kevin Kavanaugh is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine. He is employed by Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. He is a graduate of Loyola University-Chicago with a BS in Biology (Magna Cum Laude) in 1983. He earned his MD from Wayne State University School of Medicine in 1987. He completed his Residency in Internal Medicine from Michigan State University-Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies in 1990. He then completed a Fellowship in Internal Medicine also from Michigan State University-Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies in 1991.
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Education and Training
- Chief Resident 1991, Internal Medicine, Michigan State University-Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies
- Residency 1990, Internal Medicine, Michigan State University-Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies
- MD 1987, Wayne State University
- BS 1983, Biology, Loyola University-Chicago
- Internal Medicine
Vaillant J.J., Mersfelder T.L., Maynard R.S., Kavanaugh K. Procalcitonin-Guided Antibiotic Discontinuation: An Antimicrobial Stewardship Initiative to Assist Providers Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 2020;27:111-114.
Mersfelder T.L., Jacob C., Lam J., Kavanaugh K.J., Molnar C.M. Evaluation of a pharmacist-driven protocol to reduce inappropriate use of acid-suppressive medications in the Non-ICU Setting P and T. 2019;44:471-473.
Jones R., Evans W., Mersfelder T., Kavanaugh K. Rare red rashes: A case report of levetiracetam-induced cutaneous reaction and review of the literature American Journal of Therapeutics. 2016;23(3):e944-e946.
Ferenchick G.S., Solomon D., Foreback J., Towfiq B., Kavanaugh K., Warbasse L., Addison J., Chames F., Dandan A., Mohmand A. Mobile Technology for the Facilitation of Direct Observation and Assessment of Student Performance Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2013;25(4):292-299.
Ferenchick G.S., Solomon D., Mohmand A., Towfiq B., Kavanaugh K., Warbasse L., Addison J., Chames F. Are students ready for meaningful use? Medical education online. 2013;18(1):22495.
Ferenchick G.S., Foreback J., Towfiq B., Kavanaugh K., Solomon D., Mohmand A. The implementation of a mobile problem-specific electronic CEX for assessing directly observed student-patient encounters. Medical education online. 2010;15
Solomon D., Ferenchick G., Laird-Fick H., Kavanaugh K. A randomized trial comparing digital and live lecture formats ISRCTN40455708 BMC Medical Education. 2004;4
- A Quality Improvement Project: Utility and Usability of a Diabetes Medication Poster in an Internal Medicine/Medicine-Pediatric Clinic. Shamsi W, Muthukumarasamy N, Weber L, Van Maele R, SurVance E, Kavanaugh K, Mersfelder T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021