Casey M Hay, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
1000 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Casey Hay, MD, is a gynecologic oncologist with West Michigan Cancer Center. She is a graduate of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan. She earned her medical degree from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in East Lansing, Michigan. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology with Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine. While in residency, Dr. Hay spent a month at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, as the Felix Rutledge Fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology, a program for third-year residents in obstetrics and gynecology to gain additional experience in gynecologic oncology. She also completed a fellowship in gynecologic oncology with Magee-Womens Hospital of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2018, Gynecologic Oncology, University of Pittsburgh
- Residency 2015, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maine Medical Center
- MD 2011, Medicine, Michigan State University
- BS 2005, Biology, Hillsdale College
- Gynecologic Oncology
Hay C.M., Donovan H.S., Campbell G.B., Taylor S.E., Wang L., Courtney-Brooks M. Chemotherapy in older adult gynecologic oncology patients: Can a phenotypic frailty score predict tolerance? Gynecologic Oncology. 2019;152:304-309. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2018.11.031.
Hay C.M., Donovan H.S., Hartnett E., Carter J., Roberge M.C., Campbell G.B., Zuchelkowski B.E., Taylor S.E. Sexual Health as Part of Gynecologic Cancer Care: What Do Patients Want? International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2018;28:1737-1742. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0000000000001376.
Hay C.M., Kelley J.L., Edwards R.P., Pombier K.M., Comerci J.T. Super-Utilization of Health Care Resources Among Gynecologic Oncology Patients American Journal of Medical Quality. 2018;33:509-513. doi: 10.1177/1062860618757343.
Hay C.M., Lefkowits C., Crowley-Matoka M., Bakitas M.A., Clark L.H., Duska L.R., Urban R.R., Chen L.M., Creasy S.L., Schenker Y. Gynecologic Oncologist Views Influencing Referral to Outpatient Specialty Palliative Care International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2017;27:588-596. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0000000000000893.
Hay C.M., Lefkowits C., Crowley-Matoka M., Bakitas M.A., Clark L.H., Duska L.R., Urban R.R., Creasy S.L., Schenker Y. Strategies for introducing outpatient specialty palliative care in gynecologic oncology Journal of Oncology Practice. 2017;13:e712-e720. doi: 10.1200/JOP.2017.020818.
Hay C.M., Courtney-Brooks M., Lefkowits C., Hagan T.L., Edwards R.P., Donovan H.S. Symptom management in women with recurrent ovarian cancer: Do patients and clinicians agree on what symptoms are most important? Gynecologic Oncology. 2016;143:367-370. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2016.08.235.
Hay C.M., Lachance J., Lucas F., Smith K.A., Jones M.A. Biomarkers p16, Human Papillomavirus and p53 Predict Recurrence and Survival in Early Stage Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Vulva Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease. 2016;20:252-256. doi: 10.1097/LGT.0000000000000182.
Ríos-Bedoya C., Hay C. Feasibility of using text messaging for unhealthy behaviors screening in a clinical setting: A case study on adolescent hazardous alcohol use Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2013;20:373-376. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000688.
Miller R.R., Hay C.M., Striegnitz T.R., Honsey L.E., Coykendall C.E., Blacquiere K.D. Exogenous glycine partially attenuates homocysteine-induced apoptosis and membrane peroxidation in chick embryos Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - C Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2006;144:25-33. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpc.2006.05.005.
- Feasibility of intraoperative injection of radiotracer and dye for sentinel lymph node biopsy in vulvar cancer. Ricciuti J, Burriss ME, Hay CM, Berger J, Courtney-Brooks MB, Sukumvanich P, Kelley III JL, Boisen MM, Olawaiye AB, Taylor SE, Society of Gynecologic Oncology 2018 Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, New Orleans,Louisiana, 03/2018
- Super-utilization of healthcare resources among gynecologic oncology patients. Hay CM, Kelley JL 3rd, Edwards RP, Comerci JT, Society of Gynecologic Oncology 2017 Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, National Harbor,Maryland, 03/2017
- Strategies for introducing outpatient specialty palliative care in gynecologic oncology. Hay CM, Lefkowits C, Bakitas M, Crowley-Matoka M, Urban RR, Duska LR, Clark LH, Creasy SL, Schenker Y, American Society of Clinical Oncology, San Francisco,California, 09/2016
- Symptom management in women with recurrent ovarian cancer: Do patients and providers agree on what symptoms are most important?. Hay CM, Courtney-Brooks M, Lefkowits C, Hagan T, Edwards R, Donovan H, Society of Gynecologic Oncology 2016 Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, San Diego,California, 03/2016
- Can an educational simulation among OB/GYN residents improve competency in obtaining a Pap smear?. Hay CM, Craig W, Varaklis K, 2015 Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics and Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology Annual Meeting, San Antonio,Texas, 03/2015
- Use of biomarkers to predict recurrence in squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva. Hay CM, Lachance JA, Smith K, Jones MA, Society of Gynecologic Oncology 19th Annual Winter Meeting, Breckenridge,Colorado, 02/2014