Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Theotonius J. Gomes, DO, is Program Director for the Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program and an assistant professor in the Departments of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine and Medicine at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. He is a trained Internal Medicine-Pediatrics physician.
Dr. Gomes completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Maryland in 2005 earning his BS in Physiology and Neurobiology. He performed research in neuroscience at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. He went on to complete a post-baccalaureate fellowship within the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. He also trained as an EMT-B, Firefighter 2 and NREMT-I/Cardiac Rescue Technician before starting medical school. In addition, he was a Clinical Research Associate at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
Dr. Gomes earned his DO degree from the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 and was part of the Sigma Sigma Phi National Osteopathic Honor Society. He completed his residency training at Western Michigan University’s combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics program and served as co-chief resident in June 2018.
- American Board of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Education and Training
- Residency 2018, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
- DO 2013, Midwestern University
- BS 2005, Physiology and Neurobiology, University of Maryland
- Bengali, basic
Sellers S., Gomes T., Larochelle A., Lopez R., Adler R., Krouse A., Donahue R., Childs R., Dunbar C. Ex vivo expansion of retrovirally transduced primate CD34<sup>+</sup> cells results in overrepresentation of clones with MDS1/evi1 insertion sites in the myeloid lineage after transplantation Molecular Therapy. 2010;18:1633-1639.
Hu J., Renaud G., Gomes T., Ferris A., Hendrie P., Donahue R., Hughes S., Wolfsberg T., Russell D., Dunbar C. Erratum: "Reduced genotoxicity of avian sarcoma leukosis virus vectors in rhesus long-term repopulating cells compared to standard murine retrovirus vectors" (Molecular Therapy (2008) vol. 16 (1617-1623) 10.1038/mt.2008.135) Molecular Therapy. 2008;16:1770.
Hsu C., Jones S.A., Cohen C.J., Zheng Z., Kerstann K., Zhou J., Robbins P.F., Peng P.D., Shen X., Gomes T.J., Dunbar C.E., Munroe D.J., Stewart C., Cornetta K., Wangsa D., Ried T., Rosenberg S.A., Morgan R.A. Cytokine-independent growth and clonal expansion of a primary human CD8<sup>+</sup> T-cell clone following retroviral transduction with the IL-15 gene Blood. 2007;109:5168-5177.
- Progressive macrocephaly leading to emesis and seizures as a presentation of cavernous hemangioma in a nine month old infant. Gomes T, Halas R, Corpus B, 34th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2016
- Persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy as a seizure trigger in a twenty-one-month-old with previous epilepsy. Halas R, Gomes T, 34th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2016
- Multi-drug resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae as a presentation of cystic fibrosis in a two-year-old male. Halas R, Gomes T, Corpus B, 34th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2016