Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Benjamin S. Avner, MD, PhD, is a board-certified infectious disease physician with Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He is a graduate of the Medical Scientist Training Program at the University of Illinois - Chicago, and completed residency training in internal Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin followed by a fellowship program in infectious diseases at the University of Iowa. Dr. Avner's interests include treatment and prevention of multidrug resistant infections and medical education.
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Infectious Disease)
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2019, Infectious Diseases, University of Iowa
- Residency 2015, Internal Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin
- PhD 2012, Physiology & Biophysics, University of Illinois
- MD 2005, University of Illinois
- BA 2003, Biology, Northwestern University
Avner B., Fialho A., Chakrabarty A. Overcoming drug resistance in multi-drug resistant cancers and microorganisms: A conceptual framework Bioengineered. 2012;3(5)
Avner B.S., Shioura K.M., Scruggs S.B., Grachoff M., Geenen D.L., Helseth D.L., Farjah M., Goldspink P.H., Solaro R.J. Myocardial infarction in mice alters sarcomeric function via post-translational protein modification Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 2012;363(1-2):203-215.
Avner B.S., Hinken A.C., Yuan C., Solaro R.J. H<inf>2</inf>O<inf>2</inf> alters rat cardiac sarcomere function and protein phosphorylation through redox signaling American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2010;299(3)
Cvetanovic M., Mitchell J.E., Patel V., Avner B.S., Su Y., Van Der Saag P.T., Witte P.L., Fiore S., Levine J.S., Ucker D.S. Specific recognition of apoptotic cells reveals a ubiquitous and unconventional innate immunity Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2006;281(29):20055-20067.
Yamada T., Hiraoka Y., Ikehata M., Kimbara K., Avner B., Das Gupta T., Chakrabarty A. Apoptosis or growth arrest: Modulation of tumor suppressor p53's specificity by bacterial redox protein azurin Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2004;101(14):4770-4775.
- Streptococcus Pneumoniae Infection Presenting As Cauda Equina Syndrome Due to Epidural Abscess - A Case Report. Camelo Pereira M, Nogueira Gomes T, Avner B, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Ear Swelling and an Unusual Diagnosis of Cutaneous Leishmaniasis. de Castro R, Lima N, Ladzinski A, Leitao D, Avner B, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021