Katherine A Kelley, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery
1000 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Katherine Kelley, MD, is a board-certified surgeon with Bronson Healthcare Group. She is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh and Medical College of Wisconsin. She completed her residency in general surgery at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, Oregon. At OHSU, she was involved in colorectal cancer research and patient education. She also served on the Surgical Education Committee. She completed her fellowship in colorectal surgery at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Her clinical and teaching interests include colorectal cancer, benign anal disease, pelvic floor dysfunction, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Education and Training
- Clinical Fellowship 2020, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Ferguson Hospital
- Residency 2019, Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University
- Internship 2014, Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University
- MD 2013, Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin
- BS 2008, Biology and History of Art and Architecture, University of Pittsburgh
- Surgical resident education
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Medical Coding
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
- Colorectal Cancer
- Benign anal disease
Gardner I.H., Kelley K.A., Abdelmoaty W.F., Sharata A., Hayman A.V., Whiteford M.H. Transanal total mesorectal excision outcomes for advanced rectal cancer in a complex surgical population Surgical Endoscopy. 2021 doi: 10.1007/s00464-020-08251-7.
Standage H., Kelley K., Buxton H., Wetzel C., Brasel K.J., Hoops H. Revitalizing the Patient-Surgeon Relationship: Surgical Curriculum Including the Patient Perspective Journal of Surgical Education. 2020;77:e146-e153. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.08.003.
Kelley K., Tsikitis V. Clinical Research Using the National Inpatient Sample: A Brief Review of Colorectal Studies Utilizing the NIS Database Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2019;32(1):33-40. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1673352.
Kelley K., Tsikitis V. Review of Colorectal Studies Using the National Cancer Database Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2019;32(1):69-74. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1673356.
Kelley K.A., Hoops H.E., Palmer L., Cohen N.A., Brasel K.J. Implementation of a medical coding curriculum for surgery residents American Journal of Surgery. 2019;217(5):834-838. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2019.02.027.
Kelley K.A., Schulman C., Lu K.C., Tsikitis V.L. Benign Anal Disease: Implementation of an Educational Program Across Specialties Journal of Surgical Research. 2019;243:249-254. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2019.05.045.
Kelley K., Young J., Bassale S., Herzig D., Martindale R., Sheppard B., Lu K., Tsikitis V. Travel distance influences readmissions in colorectal cancer patients—what the primary operative team needs to know Journal of Surgical Research. 2018;227:220-227. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2018.02.022.
Kelley K.A., Brasel K.J. Lower GI Bleeds Emergency General Surgery: A Practical Approach. 2018:303-310.
Kelley K.A., Byrne R., Lu K.C. Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors of the Distal Gastrointestinal Tract Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2018;31(5):295-300. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1642053.
Kelley K.A., Wieghard N., Chin Y., Potter A., Mori M., Wong M.H., Chin K., Liana Tsikitis V. MiR-486-5p downregulation marks an early event in colorectal carcinogenesis Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 2018;61(11):1290-1296. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000001192.
Ruhl R., Rana S., Kelley K., Espinosa-Diez C., Hudson C., Lanciault C., Thomas C.R., Liana Tsikitis V., Anand S. microRNA-451a regulates colorectal cancer proliferation in response to radiation BMC Cancer. 2018;18(1) doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-4370-1.
Geltzeiler C.B., Kelley K.A., Srikanth P., Deveney K.E., Diamond S., Thomas C.R., Enestvedt B.K., Tsikitis V.L. Does sex influence publication productivity among colorectal surgeons participating in fellowship training programs? Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 2017;60(5):537-543. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000000746.
Kelley K.A., Kaur T., Tsikitis V.L. Perianal Crohn’s disease: Challenges and solutions Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology. 2017;10:39-46. doi: 10.2147/CEG.S108513.
Kelley K.A., Ruhl R.A., Rana S.R., Dewey E., Espinosa C., Thomas C.R., Martindale R.G., Anand S., Tsikitis V.L. Understanding and Resetting Radiation Sensitivity in Rectal Cancer Annals of Surgery. 2017;266(4):610-616. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002409.
Zarour L.R., Anand S., Billingsley K.G., Bisson W.H., Cercek A., Clarke M.F., Coussens L.M., Gast C.E., Geltzeiler C.B., Hansen L., Kelley K.A., Lopez C.D., Rana S.R., Ruhl R., Tsikitis V.L., Vaccaro G.M., Wong M.H., Mayo S.C. Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastasis: Evolving Paradigms and Future Directions Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2017;3(2):163-173. doi: 10.1016/j.jcmgh.2017.01.006.
Kelley K., Tsikitis V. Endoluminal Therapy in Colorectal Cancer Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2016;29(3):216-220. doi: 10.1055/s-0036-1584287.
Wieghard N., Hart K.D., Kelley K., Lu K.C., Herzig D.O., Mitin T., Thomas C.R., Tsikitis V.L. HIV positivity and anal cancer outcomes: A single-center experience American Journal of Surgery. 2016;211(5):886-893. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.01.009.
Kelley K.A., Crawford J.D., Thomas K., Gardiner S.K., Johnson N.G. A comparison of breast-specific gamma imaging of invasive lobular carcinomas and ductal carcinomas JAMA Surgery. 2015;150(8):816-818. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2015.0965.
- Resident knowledge of benign anal diseases: How general surgery compares to other disciplines. Kelley KA, Schulman C, Dewey E, Lu KC, Tsikitis BL, Northwest Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons, Whistler, British Columbia,Canada, 07/2017
- How travel distance impacts readmissions in colon and rectal cancer patients: What the primary operative team needs to know. Kelley KA, Young JI, Bassale S, Herzig DO, Sheppard B, Martindale RG, Lu KC, Tsikitis VL, Northwest Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons, Whistler, British Columbia,Canada, 07/2017
- Implementation of a medical coding curriculum for surgery residents. Hoops H, Kelley KA, Palmer L, Cohen NA, Brasel KJ, Herzog DO, Northwest Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons, Whistler, British Columbia,Canada, 07/2017
- MicroRNA 451 and 203 regulation of radiation sensitivity in rectal carcinomas. Kelley KA, Ruhl R, Rana S, Thomas CR, Anand S, Tsikitis VL, Association for Academic Surgery 12th Annual Academic Surgical Congress, Las Vegas,Nevada, 02/2017