2019 Research Day Deadlines
- Monday, April 15: Oral PowerPoint presentation deadline. Presentations must be submitted by 12:00 p.m. (EST).
- Tuesday, April 16: 2019 Research Day - Poster Presentations
- Wednesday, April 17: 2019 Research Day - Oral Presentations
Keynote Speaker: Dr. James M. DuBois
James M. DuBois, PhD, ScD, is the Steven J. Bander Professor of Medical Ethics and Professionalism, Professor of Psychology and Professor of Medicine, as well as director of the Center for Clinical Research Ethics at Washington University School of Medicine in the Division of General Medical Sciences. He also leads the Professional and Social Issues Lab, which has a special focus on helping researchers to conduct high-quality research with integrity by fostering good decision-making, management, and leadership practices.
Dr. DuBois has a special interest in the influence of culture and experience on professionalism in research. He also has significant experience exploring ethical issues in research with mental health consumers and vulnerable populations.
Research Day Submission Categories
- Basic Sciences: Activities related to fundamental, theoretical, or experimental sciences including development of technologies and techniques.
- Clinical: Activities related to safety and effectiveness of medications, devices, diagnostic products; and treatment regimens intended for human use, including analysis of established clinical practice and case presentations.
- Community and Public Health: Activities related to identifying and addressing community health needs.
- Medical Education: Activities related to the design, development, and implementation of educational programs or events, including the utilization of technology in the classroom setting.
Note: Oral presentations will be awarded to the top abstracts.
In support of improving patient care, Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit amount subject to change.
This activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners will receive 5.0 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change.
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine designates this activity for 5.0 contact hours for pharmacists. Pharmacists should claim only credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Abstracts, Posters and Oral Presentations
If you would like assistance with research abstracts, please contact Laura Bauler, PhD, medical editor in the Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. For WMed-affiliated Research Day entries, please see the suggested poster templates below. If you prefer to develop your own poster, please ensure you use an official WMed logo with the appropriate dimensions, which can be found in the WMed Identity Guide. Links to the official logos are provided below. Guidelines for abstracts and scientific posters are also available from the Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
These templates are used as a guideline for your poster design, but are not required. If you plan to use a different template, please be sure to email your FINAL artwork to Laura Eller, Director of Communications, for approval, to insure that your poster will be paid for. These templates are already sized to be printed at 42” tall x 63” wide and do not need to be adjusted. If you are the presenting author and are WMed-affiliated, please be sure to have the WMed logo present on your poster. If you chose to use a different poster template, please obtain the appropriate WMed logo from Laura Eller.
- Poster Templates
- Poster Printing Details
- Abstract Submission Requirements
- Abstract Word Limit: 250 words
- Structured Abstract Formatting
- Research Abstract:
- Background or Introduction
- Objective or Purpose
- Case Report Abstract:
- Case History or Case Description
- IRB approval is REQUIRED for any research involving more than three human subjects.
- Images will NOT be accepted in any abstract (i.e., graphs, photos, tables).
- References should NOT be included in the abstract.
- For WMed-affiliated abstracts, students and residents MUST work with a faculty mentor.
- Abstract Submission Deadline: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:30 p.m. (EST).
- Oral Presentation Requirements
- Oral presentations MUST include a disclosure slide following the title slide.
- Slides should be created using PowerPoint
- Oral Presentation Deadline: Monday, April 15, 2019, by noon (EST). PDFs should be e-mail to email@example.com. (Please note: If you are not WMed-affiliated, this step is not required for you as you are able to choose you own printer for your poster but please ensure enough time for printing by the company you choose.
All potential Research Day participants have access to additional resources for creating scientific posters and abstracts via the WMed Library.
Previous Research Day Events
Research Day 2018 Keynote Speaker, Dr. James Cook, presented “Biologic Joint Replacement – Does it really work. Dr. Cook is the William & Kathryn Allen Distinguished Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery, the Director of the Thompson Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics & Mizzou BioJoint Center and Chief of the Orthopaedic Research Division at the University of Missouri.