The WMed Health Pediatric Autism Center (WMedPAC) provides a full range of comprehensive assessment and diagnostic evaluation for autism spectrum disorder. Children can be referred by children’s primary care physicians, and community based agencies may also request evaluations.
WMedPAC is designated as an Approved Autism Evaluation Center (AAEC) by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) and Blue Care Network (BCN). This designation means that we provide evaluations for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to our patients with BCBSM and BCN, which is a prerequisite to access Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy. As a result of this designation, we offer ASD evaluations for patients with the entire spectrum of insurances, private and public.
- Comprehensive Autism Evaluations
Planning for Your Visit
A care coordinator will contact families to discuss what is needed for an autism evaluation, including caregiver assessments, which need to be completed before an appointment and insurance verification. The care coordinator will also provide a brief description of the evaluation day and answer any questions. The following is an example of the activities that occur on a typical evaluation day:
- One caregiver will complete the Autism Diagnosis Interview-Revised (ADI-R). This can also be done virtually.
- One caregiver will accompany the patient, who will complete a variety of assessments (cognitive, speech and language, and additional assessments as needed).
- Medical evaluation
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition (ADOS-2)
Once the evaluation is complete, a feedback session will be scheduled on a subsequent date.
- Most insurances accepted.
- Caregivers are strongly encouraged to contact their insurance provider to discuss insurance coverage, including copays and deductibles, before the appointment.
Referrals to the WMed Health Pediatric Autism Center (WMedPAC) can be made by physicians, psychologists, social workers, other health care/mental health care providers, and schools by completing the subspecialty referral form and faxing the form to 269.337.6474. Providers with access to EPIC can make a referral directly to - Meds and Orders > Referral > Ambulatory referral to WMed Pediatric Psychology > Roger Apple
For questions regarding referrals, please call 269.337.6450.