Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Mariam Ischander, M.B.CH.B, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. She is Board Certified in Pediatrics, Pediatric Pulmonology and Pediatric Sleep Medicine. She is employed with Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. She is a graduate of Alexandria University Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria, Egypt in November 1991. She completed her first residency in Pediatrics from El-Obour Hospital in February 1997. She completed her second residency in Pediatrics at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in June 2004. She went on to do her fellowship in Pediatric Pulmonology at the University of California-Irvine in June 2007. In July 2007, Dr. Ischander joined the University of California-Los Angeles as an instructor, then as a Visiting Assistant Professor, then as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics. During her work in Pediatric Pulmonology at University of California-Los Angeles, she received training in Sleep Medicine. In May 2012, Dr. Ischander joined Loma Linda University in California as an Assistant Professor, and in 2013 Dr. Ischander took on the position of Medical Director of the Home Ventilator Program at Loma Linda University. In March 2016, Dr. Ischander joined Randall Children's Hospital as a Pediatric Pulmonologist and a Sleep Medicine Physician. In March 2017, Dr. Ischander occupied the position of Medical Director of the MDA Affiliated Neuromuscular program at Randall Children's Hospital. Her areas of interest are Cystic Fibrosis, Neuromuscular Diseases, Interstitial Lung Diseases, Home Ventilator Management and Sleep Medicine.
- American Board of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
- American Board of Pediatrics (Pediatric Pulmonology)
- American Board of Pediatrics (Sleep Medicine)
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2007, Pediatric Pulmonology, University of California-Irvine
- Residency 2004, Pediatrics, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- Residency 1997, Pediatrics, El-Obour Hospital
- MBChB 1991, Medicine, Alexandria University
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Cystic Fibrosis
Campbell C., Ischander M. Chiari type 1 malformation presents with extensive periodic breathing pattern in a 3-year-old child Pediatric Pulmonology. 2021;56:1276-1279.
Graham B., Sassic J., Ischander M. The power of a good night sleep on memory and learning in children International Journal on Disability and Human Development. 2021;20:417-420.
Greydanus D.E., Ischander M.M. Sleep hygiene in youth: A core component of clinical adolescent medicine International Journal on Disability and Human Development. 2021;20:3-6.
Ischander M.M., Lloyd R.D. Severe paediatric obesity and sleep: A mutual interactive relationship! Journal of Sleep Research. 2021;30
Niemyjski E.A., Ischander M. EX18_21 large duplication: A novel pathogenic mutation of the CFTR gene for cystic fibrosis Pediatric Pulmonology. 2021;56:11-13.
Azmeh R., Greydanus D.E., Agana M.G., Dickson C.A., Patel D.R., Ischander M.M., Lloyd R.D. Update in Pediatric Asthma: Selected Issues Disease-a-Month. 2020;66
Ginsburg D., Maken K., Deming D., Welch M., Fargo R., Kaur P., Terry M., Tinsley L., Ischander M. Etiologies of apnea of infancy Pediatric Pulmonology. 2020;55:1495-1502.
Millershaski S., Bailey T., Ischander M., Patel D.R. Melatonin use for sleep disturbance in children with cerebral palsy: A narrative review Pediatric Medicine. 2020;3
Swayampakula A.K., Ischander M., Zuppan C.W., Krishnan M., Tong K., Qureshi S. Newborn with congenital salivary gland anlage tumor presenting with respiratory distress International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra. 2015;10:42-44.
Ischander M., Fan L.L., Farahmand V., Langston C., Yazdani S. Desquamative interstitial pneumonia in a child related to cigarette smoke Pediatric Pulmonology. 2014;49
Klein S., Lee H., Ghahremani S., Kempert P., Ischander M., Teitell M., Nelson S., Martinez-Agosto J. Expanding the phenotype of mutations in DICER1: Mosaic missense mutations in the RNase IIIb domain of DICER1 cause GLOW syndrome Journal of Medical Genetics. 2014;51:294-302.
Ischander M., Zaldivar F., Eliakim A., Nussbaum E., Dunton G., Leu S.Y., Cooper D.M., Schneider M. Physical activity, growth, and inflammatory mediators in BMI-matched female adolescents Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2007;39:1131-1138.
Hathout E., Beeson W., Ischander M., Rao R., Mace J. Air pollution and type 1 diabetes in children Pediatric Diabetes. 2006;7:81-87.
- Non-Emphysematous Pulmonary Manifestations of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency in Heterozygous Carrier Pediatric Patients. Bradtke J, Gongolli J, Bauler L, Ischander M, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Asthma Education Project at Western Michigan University: A Quality Improvement Initiative to Improve Asthma Control in Children in Southwest Michigan. Doan T, Giaquinta M, Alfred A, Les S, Isaack W, Ischander M, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Quality Improvement Initiative in Sweat Chloride Testing at the WMed Health Cystic Fibrosis Program and Bronson Methodist Hospital. Ziccarello J, Guthrie P, Parrott I, Peak B, Herrera C, Wells-Schmidt D, Bonnema S, Lozowski-Sullivan S, Homan K, Vess N, Bailey T, Hovey J, Caskey A, Ischander M, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Pulmonary Embolism: A Rare Complication of Mycoplasma Pneumoniae. Hussain K, Pillai P, Ischander M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Secondary Organizing Pneumonia in a 5-Year-Old Patient With Down Syndrome and T Cell Deficiency. Nguyen M, Azmeh R, Ischander M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Two Teens With Vaping Associated Lung Injury in a Community Children's Hospital. Rivera G, Emmanuel N, Fakhoury J, Ischander M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Two Sisters With a Unique CFTR Mutation, P.I1328T, Resulting In Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator-Related Metabolic Syndrome. Sila M, Bauler L, Ischander M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Integrated Multidisciplinary After Visit Summaries: A Tool to Improve Patient Engagement in Cystic Fibrosis Clinic. Herrera C, Wells-Schmidt D, Homan K, Bailey T, Vess N, Hovey J, Bonnema S, Lozowski S, Anjorin N, Ischander M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021